The healing of digestion by Ayurveda
Digestion is breaking of large molecules into smaller ones so that they can easily be absorbed by the body. A healthy digestion helps in absorbing and transporting more nutrients from the food we eat. But, we all have sometimes faced digestion issues and hoped that our digestive system was better. The imbalance between good and bad bacteria in our stomach creates digestion issues which nobody wants to face. The balance is sustained by many factors such as sleep, medications, kind of carbs we are having, excessive sugar and even alcohol consumption.
In Ayurveda, digestion is often related to “Agni” which means fire. It is said that it is the power factory and every energy we have comes from the results of “Agni” or “digestive system” that constantly burns in humans. Here are 10 tips to improve and feed your “Agni” in the best way possible by Dr.PramodBajpai, who has 34 years of experience in Naturopathy and Ayurveda :
- Healthy & Mindful eating: In this hectic lifestyle we all have in today’s world, everyone seems to multitask. But that’s where the problem starts. Having distracted eating is not recommended by Ayurveda because our mind is not aware of what all is going down our throat. Eating light, simple, digestible and sattvic food is what powers the ‘Agni’.
- Avoiding things that can diminish ‘Agni’: Fluids can diminish the power of ‘Agni’ and can make It weak. Consumption of too many fluids can create disturbance in digestion. Things like oversleeping, overeating can disturb the nature of ‘Agni’.
- Improving the ‘Agni’ beforehand: It might feel nonsense but we can fire-up the digestive process beforehand to give the best result. Taking a short walk before eating is the best example to fire up the ‘Agni’. Drinking 2 glass of waters upon waking up improves the digestive process.
- Eating high fiber diet: Consuming a diet which is rich in fiber, whole grains and contains an adequate amount of vegetables and fruits can sure give a plus point when it comes to improving the digestion. This type of diet can help you prevent and cure many digestion related problems.
- Eat at the same time every day: This habit is a little hard to follow but can really keep your digestive system on top notch. Try to eat almost all meals at the same time each day.
- Exercise is must: Sitting reluctantly for all day can lower the power of ‘Agni’ within you and thus exercise is must for all. Ayurveda has a unique perspective that you must do the perfect type, duration and intensity exercise to get the most out of it.
- Inhaling fresh air and doing some yoga asanas: The logic behind this is simple, we know that a fire requires air to be continuously burning and so do our inner ‘Agni’. Inhaling of fresh air can be done with simple activates like going for a walk or hike in nature.
- Mediation: To relief the head from all the stress and worries, Ayurveda suggests meditation. Even a 5 minute concentrated meditation will give anyone immense benefits if one follows meditation on daily basis. Meditation is a therapy which can improve digestion of emotions and thoughts.
- Water, Water, and Water: Adequate amount of water is the best remedy of the digestive system. Water not only maintains balance in gut bacteria but is essential to carry essential nutrients to everywhere in the body.
- Detox process: Ayurveda says that it is necessary to clean the body regularly by the detox process. This is a powerful way to reset ‘Agni’. By detoxing, one repairs and rejuvenates inner system. This can be a simple fruit cleanse or eating a light meal like khichdi. While this may work for some, others feel better to undergo ‘panchakarma’ therapy.
The inner ‘Agni’ is essential for our wellbeing. Maintaining balanced ‘Agni’ is the key to live a healthy and long life with almost no diseases. So, it is everyone duty to respect and maintain the integrity of the ‘Agni’ to ensure the best of our health.